Okay, upon further consideration, I think that we should identify those
organizations that have direct relevance to the work of our existing
standards, rather than any organization that works on languages. In that
category I would put liaisons from the IETF (because ISO 639 is referenced
in RFC 3066 and the previous 1766) and Ethnologue (because of the mapping
work currently going on). The other organizations listed could be
consulted as the need arises. Annex A of ISO 639-2 does say that "up to 5
technical experts may be asked to participate as non-voting
observers". Then we modified that when we met in Feb. 2000 to 6 experts to
make the number equal from each TC.  These liaisons are not defined by the
standard, although I don't object to doing this unofficially. But I would
be very conservative in the number that we appoint because opening it up
could result in a much larger committee and less efficiency in our work.

The other liaisons suggested certainly could be consulted as needed for
particular language issues and individuals from those organizations could
participate in the new work coming out of TC 37 for language
extensions. But I don't see that the Foundation for Endangered Languages
and the Linguasphere have missions directly relevant to that of ISO 639-1
and 639-2. We're not about identifying any language that exists on the
face of the earth or protecting endangered ones.

So my suggestion is to ask Peter Constable to be liaison for Ethnologue
and Michael for IETF (except that he's already sort of doing that).

Rebecca