We should follow procedures and go ahead with the ballot after we finish
discussion. This was a formal request and should be treated as such.

I remember this same question came up awhile back (about Hawaiian), where
someone asked why we didn't have a code for it. I wrote them back and said
there was no alpha-2 but there was an alpha-3 code. They were happy with
that. Perhaps that is irrelevant because it was a different person
requesting it.

The principle we established about not defining an alpha-2 code when there
was already an alpha-3 was so that the code used would be predictable
(i.e. because of the wording in RFC 3066 about which one to use). Yes, in
some cases there are synonyms and it is better to consider these synonyms
than alternatives. But I would think it better to reduce the number of
cases where the system has the burden of having to recognize synonyms. I
also thought that another reason behind the principle is to encourage
people to allowing alpha-3 codes in their systems because they are much
more extensible (obviously) than alpha-2 codes. Using the reasoning of the
requestor for Hawaiian, it doesn't encourage developers to begin
recognizing alpha-3 codes and greatly limits the number of languages that
can be coded.

Rebecca