Actually, I think we all agree that mixing #PCDATA _between_
elements, ala HTML, would _not_ be a good content model.  I
can for see communities that do not want to specify "type" nor
"description".  They just want something plain and simple like
Dublin Core.  So I can see a use for:

  <!ELEMENT creator (#PCDATA|(type,name,description)>
  <!ELEMENT name (#PCDATA)>

possible with sub-elements for name as well.  This combination
would allow someone to say:

  <creator>Geoff Mottram</creator>

or

  <creator>
    <type>...</type>
    <name>Geoff Mottram</name>
    <description>...</description>
  </creator>

or maybe

  <creator>
    <type>...</type>
    <name>
      <given>Geoff</given>
      <family>Mottram</family>
    </name>
    <description>...</description>
  </creator>

So you can specify more detail when your community requires that
detail, otherwise you don't have to.

Has anyone noticed that a number of elements mimic Dublin Core?
It seems to me given the above proposal and discussion by Geoff
that LC could just create a Dublin Core profile adding a few
MODS specific elements to the Dublin Core 15 and then create the
formal sub-element structure that Geoff describes.  That would
provide the detail LC is looking for while reusing an existing
standard.

Probably not politically correct, for LC's point of view...

Andy.