Second try on posting this...

-- Robin
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 13:27:11 -0500 (EST)
From: Robin Wendler <[log in to unmask]>
To: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [MODS] thoughts on title

Minor additions...

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Priscilla Caplan wrote:

> Two thoughts about <mods:title>.
>
> First, it seems there should be some standard way of dealing with initial
> (non-filing) articles.  I can think of several alternatives:
>
> 1.a.  Make a content rule:  "Omit initial articles."
> 1.b.  Add a subelement <displayForm> as for <mods:name>, for the full
> displaying form of title.

Given the vociferous rejection of this approach in the DC Libraries
meeting at IFLA, I'd be reluctant to adopt it.

> 2.a.  Make a content rule: "Include initial articles."
> 2.b.  Add an attribute for the language of the title, so that applications
> that care can strip initial articles when they have to.

This has the additional drawback of not necessarily being accurate. The
"Das" problem in German, and so on -- sometimes it's an article in the
initial position; sometimes it's not. For that reason, I'd prefer #3
below, although I think I would prefer <non-filing> or some such, as more
generalizable.

> 3.  Add a subelement for initial articles.  E.g.
> <title>
> <article>The</article>
> MODS test record example.
> </title>

--Robin

Robin Wendler  ........................     work  (617) 495-3724
Office for Information Systems  .......     fax   (617) 495-0491
Harvard University Library  ...........     [log in to unmask]
Cambridge, MA, USA 02138  .............