From: "Houghton,Andrew" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 4:00 PM
Subject: Re: [MODS] Recordsets

This is a "big" myth propagated by the XML Schema community.  DTD's
can very easily be as modular and used in a mix-and-match fashion,
just like XML Schemas.  XML Schemas provide only "minor" advantages
over DTD's and for those "minor" advantages, if you rethink your
content model you don't really need them.

> a single record format.  If you need to have a file containing
> multiple MODS records, it's easy enough to enable that using MODS
> as part of a more encompassing schema.

Either you can define one DTD/Schema that incorporates the concept
of record sets or you can define one DTD/Schema for a single records
and one for a set of records.  Regardless, it would be better to
have it defined one way, via a standard, rather than an infinite
number of ways that each metadata community might implement it.  An
interoperable way is always preferable.

So I respectfully disagree.

Andy.