This information came to me via the Dig_Ref discussion list (Discussion of
digital reference services              <[log in to unmask]>).  It
was posted there by Gary Price.  I thought it would be of interest.

Betty

****************

"Judges Toss Out Online Porn Law"
MULTNOMAH COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY v. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
AP story at:
http://library.northernlight.com/EB20020531490000023.html

 From the story, "Public libraries cannot be forced to use Internet filters
designed to block pornography, three federal judges said Friday in overturning
a new federal law. In a 195-page decision, the judges said the Children's
Internet Protection Act went too far because the filters can also blocked
access to sites that contain protected speech."

See Also: Read the Full-Text of The Court Decision
http://www.paed.uscourts.gov/documents/opinions/02D0415P.HTM

See Also: ALA Page With Additional Details and Resources
http://www.paed.uscourts.gov/documents/opinions/02D0415P.HTM

****

Looking for News, New Sites, Search Tips?
Visit The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk
http://resourceshelf.feepint.com

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting