Blake:

Can you send the complete stylesheet, sample input fragment and desired
output? From your XSLT snippet I find it hard to follow exactly what you
are trying to do, as many of your statements and xpath expressions are
incomplete in the example you provide.

As a side note, the substring function can stand in for starts-with (I'm
not sure if XT even supports starts-with, but your error messages will
have indicated that). I've been a long-standing fan of XT, but for
compatibility's sake you might want to try a different XSLT
processor--such as Saxon or Xalan-- something that supports the
(emerging) XSLT 1.1, which includes an xsl:document element. This
element does practically the same thing as the non-standard
xt:document.

regards,

St.

Stephen Yearl
Systems Archivist
Yale University Library::Manuscripts and Archives