On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 01:02:39PM +0100, Michael Everson wrote:
> At 11:19 +0200 2002-05-08, Keld J�rn Simonsen wrote:
>
> Because 3066 says "use 639-1 where you can, 639-2 in other cases".
> Because Hawai'ian is in  639-2 now, but not 639-1, it means that the
> three-letter code is being used for Hawai'ian. If a two-letter code
> would be introduced, there would be two different codes for Hawai'ian
> for internet use, which detabilizes the whole thing.

OK, I see your point. The problem to me is that in the Unix world
(which includes Mac nowadays) locales traditionally only use
the 2-letter code. We have with the revision of ISO 15897
taken the same rule as rfc 3066 but we have had a hard time getting
these rules to apply in the real world. The Linux I18n standard is
basically ignoring ISO 15897 although 15897 is the only standard around
that makes rules for POSIX/UNIX locales, but then the world is ignoring
the linux i18n spec... Life is not easy.

Lets hope we can make the rules from rfc 3066 also effective on locale
names.

keld