Dear Keola Donaghy,

Thank you very much for this clarification. The Joint Advisory Committee
shall finalize the issue shortly.

Hawaiian already has, as you know, an alpha-3 identifier in ISO 639. There
is a very strong principle in the committee to avoid changing the set of
language identifiers that has been assigned to a language. Not least for the
internet community data consistency is of great importance. For that reason
it is very difficult indeed to recommend to add a new alpha-2 identifier to
a language that already has an alpha-3 identifier.

Your feedback has been recorded, and it will be useful to us even if the
committee should decide against adding an alpha-2 identifier for Hawaiian at
this time.

Best regards,
Håvard Hjulstad

Håvard Hjulstad    mailto:[log in to unmask]
  Solfallsveien 31
  NO-1430  Ås, Norway
  tel: +47-64944233  &  +47-64963684
  mob: +47-90145563