> > http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/zing/service.html and see if
> > this about captures what we want to say.

> If the "requested records" parameters are omitted, then the server decides
> how many to return.  If the client wanted no records, then it should say so.
> Otherwise, it will get however many the server is prepared to provide.

Yep.

> Omit result set position in the response.  We don't need it and it makes us
> look stupid.  "Hi, I just ask for record #10.  Could you tell me what record
> I just asked for?"

To play the Advocate, if a record gets deleted while it's part of a result
set, the positions of the other records shouldn't change.  But you can't
return a deleted record, so if asked for 10 records from position 10, and
13-16 don't exist, you'll get back 6 but the resultset position will still
be 20?

Rob

--
      ,'/:.          Rob Sanderson ([log in to unmask])
I L L U M I N A T I