I was a little concerned by your comment "If a user is going to use in a
follow up query, then it should be sensible shouldn't it?"

If by sensible, you just mean that it can be put in a URL without

a) requiring escaping
b) exceeding the 256 recommended maximum length for a URL

Then I agree with you

We may need to include some limits on result set ids (e.g. allowed
characters and max recommended length)

For a while I though "sensible" might mean human readable, which I don't
think appropriate here.

Matthew