The way I see surrogate diagnostics working in SRW is as follows:

We have one XML format for diagnostic
This can be used in the response message as a non-surrogate.
This XML format can be used as though it were a record schema in the record
list - i.e. the record list could look like

Record (schema=MODS)
  Data

Record (schema=MODS)
  Data

Record (schema=OAIMarc)
  Data

Record (schema=DIAGNOSTIC)
  Data

Record (schema=MODS)
  Data

Etc. (clearly with appropriate XML wrapping).

That seems fairly clean to me?

Matthew