Deconstructing  EAD style sheets,
Looking at the  cookbooks style sheets, I am trying to understand some
of the XPaths.
For example:
When deciding to display a box number or not, we want to know if it has
changed from
the preceding sibling, so we use logic like this:

<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when
test="not(../preceding-sibling::C02/DID[CONTAINER[@type='box']=$box-number]
or ../preceding-sibling::C02//DID[CONTAINER[@type='box']=$box-number])">
<xsl:call-template name="showbox-C02-box" />
</xsl:when>
<xsl:otherwise>
<xsl:call-template name="hidebox-C02-box" />

"If not (the preceeding c02 node has a did child, which has a container
child whose type is box and value = box number)
then show the box number,
otherwise hide the box"
But the second condition, where we have the "//"  (any descendant), I
don't quite get,
"If the preceeding C02 has any did child at any level with a matching
container type box value" --
Is it possible for this expression to be true for some "did" 's, but
they don't immediately
preceed this one, so we should show the box number anyway?
I  "express" my thanks in advance,
Rick

---
Rick Silterra
Implementation Technical Consultant
Endeavor Information Systems, Inc.
2200 E. Devon Ave. Suite 382
Des Plaines, IL, USA 60018-4505
Voice: (847) 296-2200 x2625
Fax: (847) 296-5636
Toll Free: (800) 762-6300 x2625
Email: [log in to unmask]

Any opinions expressed in this message are those only
of the sender and not of Endeavor Information Systems, Inc.