> - what formats will be supported: mods, dc, onix,
> marcxml, etc;

DC (at least as much as dumping everything in dc:description ;)
Some form of marc xml for marc records and then others dependant on the
database in question.

> - implementation timeline

Hope to have a preliminary implementation done by the end of August, all
things going to plan.

> - SRW or SRU (or both)

SRW, with SRU if it's trivial to do.

> - system environment

Linux/Win32/Solaris/MacOSX/*BSD
Uses Cheshire and open source SOAP libraries for python and/or tcl.

> - access (open, restrictions, etc)

Freely available with exception of the very few databases we have that are
internal only.

> - availability of source code (free, commercial,
> private)

GPL. (Though the underlying Cheshire code is 'not for commercial use')

> - toolkits used

Cheshire, TCLSOAP, Probably SOAPpy (and the tks that they rely on)

> - toolkits developed

TCLSRW and PySRW ?

> - and the other usual information: contact,
> description

Robert Sanderson,
Special Collections and Archives,
Sydney Jones Library
University of Liverpool
Liverpool,
ENGLAND

The Cheshire project is looking forwards to implementing an interoperable
web service front end to their Z39.50 databases and will be distributing
this as part of their normal distribution as soon as possible.

Rob

--
      ,'/:.          Rob Sanderson ([log in to unmask])
I L L U M I N A T I