> > > OK, I hereby cite case-insensitivity as a requirement.  It's
> > But is there a requirement for the /distinction/ or can we just say
> > 'Sort should be treated as case insensitive' ?
> Are you seriously suggesting that we, who are trying to craft an IR
> protocol that is not a mere toy, should mandate that sorting may NEVER
> respect case?  There are plenty of reasons why that won't do.

I wasn't suggesting anything, just reiterating the request for an example
of when it would be necessary. And you've very kindly provided one :)

> For example, consider getting a directory listing on Unix.  Many
> people (me included) use filenames beginning with capitals for
> "special" files because we know they'll be sorted separately:
> "COPYING" and "Makefile" and "README" won't be listed interleaved with
> "delete.c" and "parse.y".
> So what if I want to be able to use SRW to get a case-sensitively

There we go. Seems like a perfectly reasonable example which requires case
sensitive sorting.

Rob

--
      ,'/:.          Rob Sanderson ([log in to unmask])
I L L U M I N A T I