At 01:48 PM 8/29/2002 +0200, you wrote:

>Does anyone know if there exists a 'Requirements Document' or 'Reference
>Document' on which the MOA (and consequently the METS) metadata standards
>are based ? In other words, has there ever been written a list of
>requirements before/when starting the MOA or METS standard project ? (Of
>course, besides the Open Archival Information Reference Model.)

Well, sort of.  The original MOA2 White Paper
(http://www.clir.org/pubs/abstract/pub87abst.html)
provided sort of the foundational reference document, and the first METS
meeting took that
(and the MOA2 DTD) as a starting point.  Basically METS proceeded on the
basis that MOA2 worked
well for some things for some people, and that we wanted to make it work
better for more things
for more people, specifically including structural and technical metadata
support for audio/video
resources and reducing the dependency on the original MOA2 DTD's unique and
original notions
regarding descriptive metadata.

If you're thinking of a formal requirements document in the ISO/IEC 12207
sense, then
no, there's no such animal.

Jerome McDonough
Digital Library Development Team Leader
Elmer Bobst Library, New York University
70 Washington Square South, 8th Floor
New York, NY 10012
(212) 998-2425