Bob,

You may wish to view the University of Illinois OAI project website.  We
use Xpointer extensively in dealing with EAD files.  There is an article I
wrote about it and some links to code at this site:

http://oai.grainger.uiuc.edu/

(Please note that at the time I wrote this message, the server was down.)

Chris

Chris Prom
Assistant University Archivist
University of Illinois Archives