Well, let's walk before we run. What Jinfang Niu ("Jane" at end) is
requesting information about is a full archiving system, but her practical
steps sound very reasonably  like the creation of SIPs  in the OAIS
model.  That sounds to me like a sufficiently challenging first step, as
there isn't yet a body of experience about that.  No one is offering an
archiving service, which would by definition would implement an AIP (and
DIP) capability; but if we start intelligently preparing SIPs we should be
well positioned when archiving services open their virtual doors.

Of course the proof of the pudding of an SIP is an effective DIP, but
that's a very high standard of demonstration at the moment.  --pg

--
Peter S. Graham   Syracuse University Library   [log in to unmask]
Syracuse NY 13244-2010 315/443-5530 fax 315/443-2060 NW4.7 w8/02