VIRGINIA HERITAGE (http://www.lib.virginia.edu/VHP/) is a database of
guides, or finding aids, describing archives and manuscripts in
repositories in the Commonwealth of Virginia.  VIVA, the Virtual
Library of Virginia, represented by the University of Virginia,
received funding from the National Endowment for the Humanities for
the two-year project, which concludes in December 2002.  At present,
there are 4,055 guides, encoded in Encoded Archival Description (EAD)
in the database.  Virginia Heritage hopes to learn how well we have
improved access to a rich trove of primary source documents held by
Virginia libraries.

 From the settlement at Jamestown in 1607, through the Revolutionary
and Civil Wars and into the tummult of the 20th Century, the
Commonwealth of Virginia has stood at the center of America's
history, literature and political thought. Many of the priceless
documents of American history, literature and political thought
reside in the special collections of Virginia's colleges,
universities, and other research libraries.  Please visit
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/vhp/index.html to search or browse the
database and complete our online survey.

Your opinions are extremely valuable to this project.  Thank you so much.

Sincerely,
The Virginia Heritage Executive Committee

--
        Jennifer Gunter
        Coordinator, Special Collections

        Telephone: (540) 231-9215