Alison;

In the soon-to-be-released EAD 2002, <admininfo> has been unbundled and you will be able to use <accessrestrict> (and other former <admininfo> subelements) anywhere you can now use <did>, <scopecontent>, etc.

In EAD 1.0, though, it seems to me that you *can* do what you seem to want to do, which if I read your message correctly is to get an <accessrestrict> statement in your
<archdesc level="recordgrp">, you just have to wrap <accessrestrict> as follows:

<admininfo>
  <accessrestrict>
    <head>Restrictions on Access</head>
  </accessrestrict>