(1) I don't think that the identifier that the proposer has proposed has any
special weight. We need to be free to select identifiers independently from
the proposal.

(2) The principle of basing the identifier on the indigenous name has not
been changed. Members of the JAC (and others) are most welcome to suggest
alternative identifiers.

(3) As I have pointed out previously, and which is also mentioned in
ISO/TC37/SC2/WG1 documents (which members of the JAC have been invited to
obtain access to), there is a reason for the desire to coordinate the
identifiers with Ethnologue. A "part 3" of ISO 639 is being developed, in
principle encoding all languages of Ethnologue, and using Ethnologue
identifiers whenever this is not in conflict with the current ISO 639-2.
This will have an impact on the rest of the work with language coding, and I
invite all members of JAC to follow that project closely. Peter Constable of
SIL is the Project Leader of the project. Documents will be available
through ISO/TC37/SC2/WG1 on the ISOTC Server (no other form of document
distribution is planned). I shall gladly register any JAC member on the
ISOTC Server as a "member" of ISO/TC37/SC2/WG1, in case you aren't already a
registered member.

Best regards,
Håvard

Håvard Hjulstad    mailto:[log in to unmask]
  Solfallsveien 31
  NO-1430  Ås, Norway
  tel: +47 64963684  &  +47 64944233
  mob: +47 90145563