The ISO 639 RA-JAC has received the following proposal for a new entry in
the alpha-3 table:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:22:56 -0400
From: WWW generic account <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: New ISO 639-2 code

This data was submitted on: Friday, October 25, 2002 at 15:22:56

lang_in_eng = Karachay-Balkar language
lang_in_fre =
ref_where_found_1 =
lang_in_vern =
ref_where_found_2 =
trans_lit =
evidence = Columbia University Libraries (188)
addinfo =
request_addition = ISO 639-2 only
2_code_suggestion =
3_code_suggestion = KBK
submit_name = Susan Summer
submit_email = [log in to unmask]
submit_status = Catalog Librarian, Columbia University Libraries

---------- End forwarded message ----------

CURRENT SITUATION:

ISO 639 encoding: tut = Altaic (other)

Linguasphere: 44-AAB-ba = Karachay+Balkar. This is identified in
Linguasphere as a written language, but two separate spoken forms are
included: Karachay (44-AAB-bb) and Balkar (44-AAB-bc).

Ethnologue: KRC = Karachay-Balkar. "236,000 mother tongue speakers in
Russia, 97% of the ethnic population, including 156,000 Karachay, 85,000
Balkar (1993 UBS). Population total all countries 241,000."

COMMENTS:

It seems to be correct to encode Karachay-Balkar as an individual language.
Both the proposed identifier (kbk) and the Ethnologue identifier (krc) are
available. I would suggest that we choose "krc" to harmonize with
Ethnologue.

Best regards,
Håvard Hjulstad
(acting chairman of ISO 639 RA-JAC)
-------------------------
Håvard Hjulstad    mailto:[log in to unmask]
Chairman ISO/TC37 (Terminology and other language resources)
Chairman ISO/TC207/TCG (Environmental management - Terminology coordination
group)
  Solfallsveien 31
  NO-1430  Ås, Norway
  tel: +47 64963684  &  +47 64944233