In my view, European Kalmyk should certainly be assigned a code in
ISO 639-2, and "klm" is a good identifier for it. See
http://www.evertype.com/alphabets/kalmyk.pdf for the indigenous name
"xal'mg keln".

There is a written Oirat language which uses a form of Mongolian
script. It seems from reading the Kalmyk-Oirat articles under China
and Russia that the Ethnologue taxonomy may be questionable here.

Michael Everson