Hi,

Depending on the version of MSXML you may need to have a slightly
different reference in the stylesheet. The w3c recommendation was
released in November 1999 and IE5.5 was released before that. The
transformaion was based on a draft version of the recommendation and has
quite limited functionality  and used the working draft t namespace.

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl"> You proabably
don't want to limit your functionality in this way however,

 It is better to upgrade the MSXML to at least 3.0 so that you can use
stylesheets into the future.   If you have Internet Explorer 5.5 you
will have to upgrade the MSXML parser to 3.0. The URL at
www.msdn.microsoft.com always changes but if you search for XML Parser
3.0 or the like you will be able to find the upgrade.

then use

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

The BEST option is to upgrade to Internet Explorer 6.0  which has the
latest/greatest parsers.

While you are at the microsoft site there are a few other things you
might want to check out

1)XSLT fAQ page

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmlsdk30/htm/xmconxsltfaq.asp

2)XSLT Utilities and Samples You Can Download

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmlsdk/htm/xslt_starter_7cf8.asp

3) Internet Explorer Tools for Validating XML and Viewing XSLT Output
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/code/sample.asp?url=/msdn-files/027/000/543/msdncompositedoc.xml

The third is a great little tool that gives you menu options when you
right click the mouse on the page that allow you to validate a document
and view the HTML outout.

Of course in a few days these URLS will change :)

Mozilla is another browser that does a pretty good job these days with
XSLT.

Of course there are limits to what you can do in the browser - you can
not use the XSLT 1.1 extensions that produce multiple documents (thus
frames are problematic) and you have to make sure your stylesheets that
use saxon are not using any of the extensions that are saxon specific.
 And you want the version number to be 1.0 not 1.1

Another option altogether, if you want to display your finding aid in
reading order (ie you don't have to move things around), is to use CSS.
You can apply styles to element names just as you would in HTML. You can
use visibility:hidden to make elements invisible.

Do remember that whether you used XSLT or CSS you are revealing your
source document to the world. That means that you should not use these
methods if there is information in your documents that is sensitive or
that you would rather the world didn't know about.
Anyone can use "view source" to see your document in its entirely.

And obviously, using native XML really limits your audience to those who
have the newest browsers.

Liz Shaw
Owner
Aziza Technology Associates