RE: Fed Lib section newsletter

The Medical Library Association Guide
to Managing Health Care Libraries new

MLA Guide to Managing Health Care Libraries Ruth Holst, editor, and Sharon A. Phillips, associate editor
2000 (385 pages, soft cover)
ISBN 1-55570-397-6

To order: Payment MUST be sent directly to Neal-Schuman Publishers
100 Newfield Ave.
Edison, NJ 08837
Or call 732.417.9572 (or toll-free 866.672.6657);
Fax, 732.225.1562 (or toll-free 866.209.7932)
-----

Administration and Management
in Health Sciences Libraries
,
volume 8 new

Managing a medical library in a climate of rapidly changing technology requires the astute manager to anticipate and then manage change. This is the perfect resource for a medical library manager to consult as they guide their organization into the new Information Age.

Basic management concepts and how to utilize these concepts in a specialized setting to allocate resources for the efficient operation of the library and the delivery of high-quality information services are covered. Other chapters include fiscal management, human resources, marketing library services, technology, facilities, and strategic planning. Appendixes offer a list of skills recommended for the career health sciences professional and an annotated bibliography on space planning.

2001 (hardcover, 248 pp.) ISBN 0-8108-3896-6
Rick B. Forsman, AHIP, editor

To order: Call Scarecrow Press at 800.462.6420; fax, 800.338.4550; or visit www.scarecrowpress.com.

Price:$44.00 ($55.00)

Administration and Management in Health Sciences Libraries, edited by Rick B. Forsman. Lanham, MD, Scarecrow Press/Medical Library Association, 2000. 222p., bibliog., index. (Current Practice in Health Sciences Librarianship, v. 8). ISBN 0-8108-3896-6. $49.95. LC Call no.: Z675.M4A36 2000.

Subjects: Medical Libraries-United States-Administration.

Contributors: Joan S. Ash, Prudence W. Dalrymple, Ellen G. Detlefsen, Barbara A. Epstein, Rick B. Forsman, Carol Jenkins, Patricia C. Mickelson, Lynn Kasner Morgan, Audrey Powderly Newcomer, Mary Joan (M.J.) Tooey, Frieda O. Weise, Elizabeth H. Wood.

Reviewer: Kimberley Robles Smith, Reference Librarian, Fresno State University Madden Library, [log in to unmask]

Table of Contents:

  1. Management Challenges in an Era of Change 1
  2. Fiscal Management in Health Sciences Libraries 19
  3. Human Resources Management 35
  4. Marketing Library Services 75
  5. The Technological Transformation of Health Sciences Libraries 101
  6. Planning for Health Sciences Library Facilities 133
  7. The Application of Systematic Research 173

Appendices:

  1. Compilation of Skills Recommended for Careers in Health Sciences Librarianship 195
  2. Annotated Bibliography of Library Space Planning 199

Glossary 205

Index 209

Administration and Management in Health Sciences Libraries is part of the handbook series, Current Practice in Health Sciences Librarianship, published by the Medical Library Association. The series has a long history of examining current trends in the field of health sciences librarianship. It was first published in 1942 in a single volume. This newest edition contains eight separate volumes to adequately cover the rapidly changing field of information science. Separate volumes dealing with a single subject allow a great depth of comprehensiveness.

The administration and management volume is divided into seven sections. The first chapter provides an overview and the subsequent chapters cover specific topics such as fiscal management, human resources, technology, marketing, etc. Most of the articles are written by practicing directors of health science libraries, and brief author biographies are included at the end of the book. References at the end of each chapter are as current as 2000.

Chapters are broken into categories subdivided by bold headings making the reading easy to follow. Bulleted lists also help to clarify points, and many chapters include lists of important questions. For example, the section covering Staff and Service Space Needs includes a list of eight useful questions to consider when determining space needs.

Appendices include a list of recommended skills for health science library careers and an annotated bibliography of library space planning. There is also a short glossary of acronyms. The subject index is both extensive and thorough making it quite easy to find specific information throughout the volume.

Even though it is clearly directed at those working in health science libraries, this book would be useful for anyone in library management, as well as library school students. It is recommended for library science and health science collections.

Also: Please see http://www.slais.ubc.ca/resources/architecture/books.html and http://www.musiclibraryassoc.org/committee/co_fac_bibliography.htm

And great space planning consultant firm at http://www.acohen.com/services.html

Frank Alan Herch
Zimmerman Associates, Inc.
Deputy Project Manager: Collection Building and Technical Services
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Library
Code 292, Building 21
Greenbelt, MD 20771-0001
301-286-2546
e-mail: [log in to unmask]