> From: Joe Zeeman [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
> Subject: Re: [MODS] language attributes for MODS element -
> transliterations
>
> But we already have multiple types of title, each of which
> may need to be
> transliterated.  So transliteration can't be a type of title
> parallel with
> uniform title, etc.  It has to be something else.  We also have names,
> publication info, abstract, etc.., which may also need to be
> transliterated.

You could have a transliteration title in parallel with it's title
by just declaring an attribute with a content model of name token.
This is how XLink relates resources to actions.  For example:

  <!ELEMENT title (#PCDATA)>
  <!ATTLIST title name NMTOKEN #IMPLIED>
  <!ELEMENT transliteration (#PCDATA)>
  <!ATTLIST transliteration name NMTOKEN #IMPLIED>

  <title name="abc">...</title>
  <transliteration name="abc">...</transliteration>

In addition to your schema you also have the semantics that a
title element has a transliteration, if and only if, both the
title and transliteration elements have a name attribute with
the same value.