The transliteration element seems useful, but
I think that even that element needs to carry a language notation.
What if we have a title, whose native title is in hebrew, but
it has several transliterations, one in arabic, one in latin-1.

Cheers,
Rick Silterra

Karen Coyle noted:

So I think that the idea of a title block where multiple versions of the
same title can be kept together is the best one:

<titleBlock>
    <title lang="ch">vernacular title</title>
    <title translit="pinyin">here's the pinyin title</title>
    <title lang="en">English title for same item</title>
</titleBlock>

That's it conceptually, at least. Someone else needs to do the right and
formal XML.