December 2, 2002

Dear colleagues:

The British Columbia Archives is pleased to announce the launch of its
on-line Moving Images Index.  Researchers can now search and view
descriptive entries for 3,200 moving image titles (about 7,000 film and
videotape items) within the BC Archives' holdings.  This latest addition to
our integrated search system is available at
http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/ .

Over the past two years, the on-line Moving Images Index has been compiled
from existing paper-based accession records, card indexes, finding aids and
documentation files.  This material was previously only accessible on-site
in our reference room.  Important information was also drawn from two
published British Columbia filmographies, written by Colin Browne (1979) and
Dennis J. Duffy (1986).

This project represents the BC Archives' first formal application of Encoded
Archival Description (EAD), although not our first use of eXtensible Markup
Language (XML) technology, since all of our Vital Event Index descriptions
are stored in XML format. Records are stored internally within the system as
EAD, and rendered/formatted into HTML by the server at the time of access.

This initiative is part of an overall strategic move towards more structured
information formats.  It provides our clients with enhanced search
capabilities (see Advanced Search), and offers more flexibility in data
presentation (see the Expanded and Compact options when viewing the actual
description).  It also highlights the usefulness of EAD as a common
"container" for integrating information created using a variety of standards
over time.

The following hyperlinks are shortcuts to search pages with the Moving
Images Index pre-selected:

Basic Search:  http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/bsearch/Movies

Browse:  http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/browse/Movies

The main Moving Images page
(http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/movingim/general/movingim.htm) provides an
overview of the holdings and access procedures.

While linkages exist from these descriptions to fonds, series, or collection
titles, they have been temporarily masked.  These linkages will be made
available in the near future, after the content is synchronized with other
descriptive initiatives at the BC Archives.

We anticipate that a further 600 to 1,000 titles will be added to this Index
during the year 2003.

Sincerely,

Brant Bady, Kathryn Bridge, Walter Meyer zu Erpen, Jean Southey

Public Access Group
British Columbia Archives
Victoria, British Columbia

> Brant Bady
>
> Manager,
> Emerging and Applied Information Technologies Group
> BC Archives
> Ministry of Management Services
>
> Ph:     (250) 387-4126
> Email:  [log in to unmask]