Folks,

I'm currently switching over from making listening copies of field
recordings on cassette to using CDs.  I wrote to the list a few months ago
about suggestions for placing index points/tracks at intervals on the disk,
and have decided to set them every five minutes.  The problem I'm having
now is the program I using for sound processing--Cool Edit 2000--makes it
extremely difficult to introduce track marks into a long WAV file for
burning.  Essentially you have to lay down a series of cue points, merge
the cues, then save each cue range as an individual file.  Needless to say,
when an interview is 120 minutes long, that's a lot of marking and saving.
According to the help-people at Syntrillium, there is no way to script the
process of laying cue points every 5 minutes and then saving the individual
tracks after you mark them, nor is there a way to automate even the process
of saving the merged cue ranges as individual files.  Does anyone out there
have a suggestion for another (inexpensive) program I could use just to
ready the audio for CD that isn't such a pain in the neck?  Cool Edit 2000
does pretty much everything else we need around here, and we're not in a
position to make a large financial investment in audio software right now.
If there isn't a program I can use just to ready the audio for CD, then
what experience have others had preping audio for CD as I outlined above
with other programs--Sound Forge, etc.?  I'm working on a PC, by the way.

Thanks for you time--

andy
Andy Kolovos
Archivst/Folklorist