Duane, The question is not about sound quality, it is about preservation and
access. If a recording sits in the library of congress and nobody hears it
does it make a sound. Sound quality can also be improved after transferring
to cd also, if that's what you want. The lady on the radio wanted to
preserve a recording of her great-grandmother's oral history of riding a
covered wagon into Missouri. The people on the show totally discouraged her.
She could have easily made many copies of the tape she had. That would have
given her a better chance of preserving her great-grandmas legacy than
hanging on to a single casette tape. No one is saying to throw away the
analog originals are they?-ml

http://www.mp3.com/edisonrecords