I just listened to this broadcast via the web. The host made reference to
"Sam's pencil is squirming on
his paper". Were I Sam, I'd be squirming myself - from the standpoint of
providing information to the public
it was a wholly chaotic affair. And as for collecting feedback from the
public - well, a couple of useful
suggestions were put forward. But the broadcast also made clear that the
public doesn't really understand
the purpose of the registry - nor really did the host of the program, who
was far too invasive I felt.

As per some of Steve's comments about playing back cassettes on the
"original" machines on which they
were recorded, I have some comments. Cassettes were truly a consumer medium
if there ever was one.
Most folks would get rid of their cassette machines if they died and simply
bought new. But they didn't get
rid of the tapes. I don't have any of the machines I owned before 1993 when
I got the one I use now. I tried
to hang onto the older machines for some years, but then as I kept moving
from place to place Mrs. Lewis
would insist I shake this or that machine loose if it didn't work.

I regretted the swift death of DCC, as I really wanted one. Not to play and
record the digital cassette tapes,
which I knew were doomed, but as a very high-end player of normal audio
cassettes. With mono cassettes
I made before I started using a stereo cassette deck (prior to 1981) I
prefer to play them back on a stereo
machine, as it gives me two signals to work with. If the main, louder
channel is too overmodulated to provide
a clear signal, then I will recombine it at a low volume with something of
the quieter, but noisier secondary
mono channel to get a result that is listenable. I suspect this is
audio-restoration heresy, but I noted that
Seth Winner and Dennis Rooney have a similar strategy when dealing with
damaged half-track open reel
tapes (as per their joint talk at last year's ARSC.)

Tape truly is "the Devil".

David N. Lewis
Assistant Classical Editor
All Media Guide
301 E. Liberty Suite 400
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

PS: When is the deadline to submit an ARSC talk this year? I've forgotten
the dealine, but I do have something.

DL