ISO 639 Ballot -- New item: Erzya

Please vote by Friday 2003-01-24.

Please see additional information below the ballot form.

Submitted by (your name, please):

(A) -- Inclusion:
(1)
___  I am in favour of including the individual language "Erzya" in 639-2
(alpha-3 code)
___  I am opposed to including the individual language "Erzya" in 639-2
(alpha-3 code)

(B) -- Identifier:
(Please vote even if you are opposed to the inclusion of the item)
(2)
___  I accept the alpha-3 identifier "myv" for Erzya (if to be included)
___  I do not accept the identifier "myv" -- Comment:

(C) -- Language names:
(3)
___  I accept the English name "Erzya" (if to be included)
___  I do not accept the English name "Erzya" -- Comment:

(4)
___  I accept the French name "erzya" (if to be included)
___  I do not accept the French name "erzya" -- Comment:

(5)
___  I accept the indigenous name "erzjan' kel'" [with dot over first e] (if
to be included)
___  I do not accept the indigenous name "erzjan' kel'" -- Comment:

Other comments:

* * * * * * *

Background and additional information:

This is based on a proposal submitted on 2002-10-11 and circulated to the
JAC for comments on 2002-10-30. The proposal was originally for one
identifier for Mordvin. Feedback that has been received (from Michael
Everson and Trond Trosterud (via H�vard Hjulstad)) strongly advise against
one identifier for Mordvin, but rather to identify the two Mordvinic
languages Moksha and Erzya separately. Evidence clearly confirms that the
two languages are separate "individual languages". Since this has not been
contradicted by other input, I propose to encode the two languages
separately, and two separate ballots are circulated.

The proposed identifiers are identical with the Ethnologue identifiers, and
they are not based on indigenous names.

The source of the French name is http://www.eurominority.org/.

The source of the indigenous name is http://www.evertype.com/alphabets/