Ok, I now see where the confusion is coming from. I was talking about a thesaurus hidden behind a srw/U server. You are talking about an external  thesaurus that is available as a database. I need to do some more thinking on this.

Theo

>>> [log in to unmask] 24-01-03 15:39 >>>
> I don't think we disagree that much.

:)

> >All we need to do is tell the client that the term is part of a thesaurus,
> >which thesaurus, and a link to that thesaurus (be it an index in the same
> >database, or a separate database).  Then we have Mike's ZThes in both
> The "termId" as I call it, will in my proposal be used to "link to the
> thesaurus". Perhaps the only difference in our view is that I would like
> the termId to be used as parameter in SRU rather than creating a http
> link.

Okay, I must have misinterpreted your comments about the client not
needing to know about a second database. How does the client get to the
thesaurus via termId?  Surely it needs to know the location?

Assuming that the information comes back on the term, rather than in
Explain as I concede that a single term or index may reference multiple
thesauri, the way I would see it happening is:

<term>
  <value>Tolkien, John</value>
  <frequency>12</frequency>
  <displayTerm>J.R.R. Tolkien</displayTerm>