Dear list members,

Apparently Corel has recently released XMetaL version 4.0, and I see at the
Corel web site that there are four "components" available: XMetaL Author,
Developer, Central, and XMetaL for ActiveX.

I wrote an XMetaL EAD input template for the Northwest Digital Archives
union database project using XMetaL version 3.0, and I'm wondering, for
version 4.0, which of these components should be purchased/used by
consortium members (several institutions in the consortium are buying XMetaL
for the first time). In addition to creating finding aid documents in EAD
version 2002 (using the template prepared for the project), participants
probably will want to do customizations of the input screen and maybe write
fairly simple macros.

Does anyone on the list have experience with XMetaL 4.0? Would XMetaL Author
be sufficient for most finding aid creators? Many thanks!

Marsha Maguire
Manuscripts and Special Collections Cataloging Librarian
University of Washington Libraries
Box 352900
Seattle, Washington  98195-2900
(206) 543-9935