Dear Lara

One reason for different behaviour when Mozilla renders network rather
than local files may be to do with the Content Type in the HTTP header:
is your web server configured to dish up .xml files as text/xml, or is
it defaulting to text/html or text/plain? In the latter case I
understand Mozilla will not treat the file to any sort of parsing.

Comparing Mozilla/View/Page Info on the two URLs you gave suggests that
the XML file is being output with no Content Type headers. Your
Webmeister may need to look into this.

It is equally true that Mozilla seems to behave quirkily at times with
XML files - I have some CGI-generated XML (definitely using the right
Content Type, text/xml) and sometimes it will display in XML tree mode,
sometimes not. Sometimes a reload or two will result in a different view.

Netscape 7.x versions, by the way, more or less shadow Mozilla 1.0.x
- there have been considerable improvements to Mozilla since then, and I
find 1.3 (currently in Beta) is extremely stable and growing some nice
extra features.

Good luck

Richard Davis
Digital Archives