From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 5:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Core Collection Guidelines

Toby,

The EPA Core List for an Environmental Reference Collection includes a
section on Chemical Properties and Characteristics that might be
helpful. Some of the other sections might be useful, too, although the
list doesn't specifically cover biotechnology.

The Core List is available online at
http://www.epa.gov/natlibra/core/coretoc.htm .

Lucy Park
EPA National Library Network Coordinator and Manager, EPA Headquarters
Library
ASRC Aerospace Corp.
(202) 566-0570

                      Toby Port
                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      GOV>                     cc:
                      Sent by: "FEDLIB:        Subject:  Core Collection
Guidelines
                      Federal
                      Librarians
                      Discussion List"

                      02/19/03 04:01 PM
                      Please respond to
                      "FEDLIB: Federal
                      Librarians
                      Discussion List"

Is anyone out there aware of Core Collection Guidelines in the areas of
BioTechnology and Chemistry.  I am part of a committee setting up
guidelines
to weed the Biotechnology Library at the US Patent and Trademark Office.
know there are core collection lists available for some subject areas,
such
as Medicine, and I was wondering if there were any published guidelines
for
the areas of Biochemistry, Chemistry, Drugs, Genetic Engineering, Plant
Technology.

We want to make sure we don't toss anything that might be considered
core or
essential even if it hasn't been used here for a while.

Thanks for your help with this.

Toby Port
703-308-3534
US Patent and Trademark Office
Scientific and Technical Information Center
Biotechnology Library