Dear Fellows,
So glad to see this dialogue.  I always glean great ideas from you all.  One
simple and fun idea I use in my classes year after year is when I teach
students how to do photo analysis:  I use the photo analysis form and like to
start at the beginning of the year with some photographs of school scenes
from America from the Great Depression to WWII (conduct a search on "school"
under black and white photographs - it turns up some great depression era
school scenes).  Or this can be done with any interesting photos from the
collection. After students have completed the photo analysis form (which can
be found on the Learning Page by clicking on lesson plans and media analysis
tools) on the picture, have them write a short story about what they think is
going on in the picture.  My middle school children love to tie together
their observation, knowledge, and interpretation in a creative way.  It only
takes one period for students to complete the photo analysis and the writing
assignment can be written from the photo analysis as homework. It also gives
me a great early sample of my history students' writing.
Laura Wakefield
1997 American Memory Fellow

Laura Wakefield, NBCT
History Teacher