[log in to unmask] writes:
>In a few weeks, I am giving a presentation to language arts teachers,
>grades 4--12, on the American Memory Collections. The focus of the
>conference is on language arts and history. My session will be on how
>documents from the AM collection can be used in the language arts
>classroom.
>
>Do you have any favorite AM documents or lessons that you use with
>students
>in the language arts curriculum?

My colleagues and I have been using immigration documents from the Life
Histories for years with 4th graders to create found poetry.  You can see
the lesson (a revised version of the one I did as fellow which is on the
Learning Page) along with student work from 1999 at:

http://www.dalton.org/ms/4th/Edinger/American_Memory/historyfirsthand.html

Then you can see the students work from 2000 at:
http://www.dalton.org/ms/4th/Edinger/American_Memory/american_memory2000/index.html

A colleague who has done something a bit different with the lesson has her
class and their work at:
http://www.dalton.org/ms/4th/terpening/AmericanMemory/Index.html

Also, my book Seeking History comes with a CD with students talking about
their process of creating the poems and collages.

This project has become a part of our 4th grade curriculum and most of the
classes (we have 5 sections) do it yearly.  I've just not put the results
on the web for a few years.

Monica

Monica Edinger
The Dalton School