Dear Don (and Steve as well),
    The 8-track quarter-inch format may have been more common here than America, as part of the "home music recording" industry. Because this serves people composing music in their bedrooms (on an overcrowded island!), customers either bought an 8-track quarter-inch machine or a 4-track audiocassette machine, the latter often with a built-in mixer to save even more space. I picked up my 8-track for only 250 British pounds. I saw no need to get another, because even if a track fails, you can still fudge things so that four remain working.
Peter Copeland

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 18 March 2003 18:59
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright and hard drives

The 8 track Quad player I own plays 4 tracks one way, 4 tracks the other way = 8 tracks.  I don't believe I've ever read about a 8 discrete track 1/4 inch tape head.
Don Chichester

Free exhibition at the British Library Galleries :

Magic Pencil : Children's Book Illustration Today (to 31 March) original graphic work of 13 contemporary artists