I just received a home recording on a Wilcox Gay recorded disc and
another on a Capitol home recorded disc. They both seemed to be paper
based with a waxy coating, but I am not for sure. Both are warped and
the Wilcox Gay  has many cracks throughout the waxy surface. This is an
important recording of an American POW during WW II. Apparently, at some
point, the Japanese allowed the POWs to right home to their families
telling them they were okay, but this particular soldier was allowed to
broadcast his message, which was played over American radio and is how
the family recorded the message.

What is the best way to flatten these recordings? Further, because of
the cracks, what is the best way to transfer these recordings? Can I use
a conventional turntable and clean up the digital file, or would a laser
turntable work better?

Also any information about the composition of these type of discs is
needed.

Curtis Peoples
Archivist
Texas Tech University
Southwest Collections Special Collections Library
Lubbock, Texas 79409-1041
Phone: 806-742-3749 ext 265
Fax: 806-742-0496
www.swco.ttu.edu <http://www.swco.ttu.edu/>