Anna,

The parameter entities so defined are not defined for reuse, but to enable
individual repositories or consortia to constrain the legal values
available on particular attributes on particular elements.

See the documentation at the top of EAD 2002 eadlocal.ent for more details
and some suggested reading on parameter entities and conditional sections,
the two XML features being exploited.

A word of caution: if you do not understand how it works or why it is
available, leave it alone until you do.

Daniel

At 01:16 PM 3/21/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>>Message posted by Anna Sexton on behalf of Chris Turner.
>
>>Please send off-list replies directly to Chris at: [log in to unmask]
>>
>>I have been looking in detail at some of the attribute definitions in the
>>EAD2002 dtd and I am puzzled.  I notice that several attributes such as
>>ENCODINGANALOG, LANGCODE, RELATEDENCODING, TYPE etc., are repeatedly
>>defined as paramater entities but apparently for single elements, e.g.
>

><!ENTITY % am.abstract.encodinganalog
>
>     'encodinganalog CDATA #IMPLIED'>
>
><!ENTITY % am.accessrestrict.encodinganalog
>
>     'encodinganalog CDATA #IMPLIED'>
>
><!ENTITY % am.accruals.encodinganalog
>
>     'encodinganalog CDATA #IMPLIED'>
>
><!ENTITY % am.acqinfo.encodinganalog
>
>     'encodinganalog CDATA #IMPLIED'>
>
><!ENTITY % am.altformavail.encodinganalog
>
>     'encodinganalog CDATA #IMPLIED'>
>
>and so on.
>
>As a relative newcomer to the details of DTD's I may well be missing
>something, but I thought that the point of entity declarations was to create
>re-usable components.  If element specific entities are declared then
>presumably they are only to be used once, so what is the point?  In any
>event why are these entities defined repeatedly with the same content but
>different names?
>
>Please can someone put me out of my misery.
>
>Chris Turner

Daniel V. Pitti
Project Director
Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities
319 Alderman Library    P.O. Box 400115
University of Virginia  Charlottesville, Virginia 22904-4115
Phone: 434 924-6594     Fax: 434 982-2363
Email: [log in to unmask]  http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu