We had a discussion and a ballot (closing 2002-09-11) on "Sichuan Yi". In
that ballot I proposed that we also encode the item "Yi languages (other)",
to cater for the Yi languages that are NOT "Sichuan Yi". There has been very
little enthusiasm for this, and I do not think it is a correct move to go
for (what formally would be) a second ballot at this time.

The TC37/SC2 Language Coding Task Force will most likely propose as a
separate part of ISO 639 encoding of language families and language groups.
The question of "Yi languages (other)" will be treated in that context.

Best regards,
Håvard Hjulstad

-------------------------
Håvard Hjulstad    mailto:[log in to unmask]
Chairman ISO/TC37 (Terminology and other language resources)
Convener of ISO/TC37/SC2/WG1 (Language coding)
Acting chairman of ISO 639 RA-JAC
  Solfallsveien 31
  NO-1430  Ås, Norway
  tel: +47 64963684  &  +47 64944233