Dear Colleagues,

York University Archives is very pleased to announce that electronic
access to our archival finding aids is growing by leaps and bounds.

Thanks to our latest Canadian Archival Information Network (CAIN) grant,
we have encoded several hundred finding aids into EAD and XML-compliant
instances.  From these instances, we use XSL style sheets to generate
four different types of output for each finding aid, demonstrating the
advantages of standard markup to encode documents.  The outputs are:
HTML for online access; PDF for hardcopy printing; MARC records for the
university library catalogue which include the 856 MARC field for the
URL link; EAD records for submission to ARCHEION, the Ontario provincial
archival database which is then uploaded to CAIN, the national archival
database.  To view the results, please visit the following sites:

- ARCHEION at:          http://archeion-aao.fis.utoronto.ca/bsearch.html
- CAIN at:              http://www.cain-rcia.ca/cain/e_home.html
- York's Archives at:
http://www.library.yorku.ca/acs/ArchivesSpecialCollections/FindingAids/FondsRegister.htm

***

This project was made possible - in part or entirely - through the
Canadian Culture Online Program of Canadian Heritage, the National
Archives of Canada and the Canadian Council of Archives.

We thank those national bodies for their support, and those individuals
and departments at York which have assisted us in attaining a goal we
have been working towards since 1996 when EAD first came to University
Archivist Kent Haworth's attention.

Suzanne Dubeau

--
Suzanne Dubeau
Acting University Archivist & Head, Special Collections