Hello to everybody from Spain.
     This is my first message to the list. (Sorry, I hope my English is
good enough...)
     Could someone tell me why EAD Version 2002 has been developed in
such a way that it's not fully conformant or compliant with XLink 1.0,
but merely "compatible"? It's strange to me to find, in "attlist"
declaration of linking elements in the EAD DTD, attributes and its
values like
"show (new | replace | embed | showother | shownone)",
instead of
"xlink:show (new | replace | embed | other | none)"
(that would be conformant to XLink).
     In every linking or reference element in EAD (Version 2002) Tag
Library you can read: "While XML Linking Language (XLink) Version 1.0,
which is the basis for EAD linking elements, is a stable document,
examples of EAD usage are hypothetical and have not been tested in real
XLink-based applications. Those wishing to use XLink are encouraged to
consult the specification available online at
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/>."
     And in comments inside the EAD DTD itself, you can read: "3.
Linking and pointing elements made compatible (though not conformant)
with W3C XML Linking Language (XLink) Version 1.0 (W3C Recommendation 27
June 2001: http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/). 'Compatible' means than the EAD
linking and pointing elements and attributes are not fully compliant
with the XLink recommendation, but are sufficiently structured and
semantically rich to support transformation into compliant elements and
attributes using XSLT or other transformation techniques."
     XML Linking Language (XLink) Version 1.0 is a W3C Recommendation
from 27 June 2001, and hence, is a stable document, while EAD Version
2002 is born to mankind in December 2002. One year and a half to make
EAD conformant whit XLink... without the need of "XSLT or other
transformation techniques".
     And the browser Doczilla 1.0 (www.doczilla.org), from CiTEC, is a
"real XLink-based application" that could be used to test "hypothetical
examples" of linking and pointing elements.
     Waiting for your help...
     Best regards.

P.S.: I have made some "little" changes to the EAD DTD version 2002 in
order to make it XLink 1.0 compliant (at the moment, in a few elements
and for simple links only)... by amusement. Because, I know it, this way
my documents are not "conformant or compliant" with EAD DTD. And this is
the worst solution...

--
J. Tomas Nogales              |         voz: (+34) 91 624 92 50