My colleague, David Loy, and I have brainstormed on this issue of what
additions MODS needs to carry the full details of citation information. We
came to the conclusion that we need a "subDocumentType" that has a field
for the detailed statement of the sub-document level. The reasoning for
this is that there are all kinds of different levels for all kinds of
different documents, so it would be best to allow for as much flexibility
as possible. We ended up with what you see below (and, no this isn't
properly coded, so just think of it as a logical explanation) (also, more
text and explanation below the examples):

*************** subDocumentType ******************
<subDocumentType>
        <subDocDetail type="[type]" number="[number]" caption="[caption]"
                order="[order]" title="[title]/>
        <subDocExtent type="[type]" value="[value]" />
        <text></text>
        </subDocumentType>

Where:
        subDocument
                type=part|volume|issue|chapter
                number=CDATA
                caption=CDATA
                order=NUMERIC
                title=CDATA

        text=CDATA

        subDocExtent
                type=pagination|total_pages
                value=CDATA

Examples:

Journal article with details

relatedItem value=host
      title=Journal of the American Medical Association
      subDocumentType
                subDocDetail=
                        type=volume
                        caption=v.
                        number=5
                        order=1
                subDocDetail=
                        type=issue
                        caption=n.
                        number=44
                        order=2
                subDocExtent=
                        type=pagination
                        value=34-56

Journal article without details

relatedItem value=host
        title=Journal of Irreproducible Results
        subDocumentType
                text=v.3, March, 2002
                subDocExtent=
                        type=pagination
                        value=1,3-7

Chapter:

relatedItem value=host
      title=Collected essays
      author=Smith, John
      subDocumentType
                subDocDetail=
                   type=chapter
                   number=10
                   title=Why I Write
                subDocExtent=
                   type=pagination
                   value=100-135
                text="Chapter 10: Why I Write"

**********************

Some things that need explanation:

1) Subdocument types should be expanded. This is what we came up with as
obvious ones.
2) The "order"is there because there are situations when it is important to
state the hierarchical order of the numbered elements, i.e.
part/volume/number. It is optional, however, because the metadata you are
working with often doesn't express any order of the elements.
3) I thought of adding in the date here, but there are some odd
interactions with the main portion of the bibliographic record -- I am
assuming that the date element (date of publication, date issued, etc.) in
the main portion relates to item being described, therefore it doesn't need
to be repeated here. On the other hand, when the details are not parsed,
date information might be included.
4) Almost ditto for pagination -- is the pagination an attribute of the
subdocument or of the document being described in the bibliographic record?
I placed it here in the subdocument because it tends to be coupled with the
enumeration in most citations.
5) The "text" data element (it might need another name) is a way to carry
to unparsed statement from the original metadata record when a
transformation is done from a citation format to MODS. It may be useful for
display even if it is successfully parsed into detailed elements, and it
may carry data that doesn't get into the subdocument data elements (such as
the date in the middle example).
6) "subDocExtent" is another data element that can be extended to include
other types -- including non-textual types.

OK, have at it. This is just one possible solution; I will be disappointed
if there aren't any competing ones.

kc
Karen Coyle                    [log in to unmask]
       http://www.kcoyle.net