Hi David,

The lacquer polymer is inherently more labile to acid catalyzed
decomposition than is shellac polymer.  Moisture will accelerate the
process for both.  The combination of moisture & a mild acidic environment
[such as found in the natural decomposition of old paper sleeves] will have
a greater potential to degrade lacquer than shellac.

All modern paper has a lower acid content than original sleeves and from a
safety standpoint replacement with plain text stock would be a vast
improvement.

Cheers,

Duane Goldman

At 11:47 AM 6/3/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>translation anyone?
>
>DS

>I have just received lab results back from Terry Tullos Wayland, who is
>paper conservator.
>
>He says:
>
>"Kurt, your DOF specimen is a moderately acidic pH 4.59."
>
>For what it's worth, there you have it.
>
>Kurt & Diane Nauck
>
>c/o Nauck's Vintage Records
>22004 Sherrod Ln.
>Spring, TX  77389
>
>Website: www.78rpm.com
>E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
>
>Phone: (281) 288-7826
>Fax: (425) 930-6862

      ------
h. duane goldman, ph.d.   |   P.O. Box 37066   St. Louis, MO  63141
lagniappe chem. ltd.            |   (314) 205 1388 voice/fax
"for the sound you thought you bought"       |   http://discdoc.com