At 08:57 PM 6/27/2003 -0400, Mike Csontos  [log in to unmask] wrote:

>I know of no way to put this material into any sort of database where it
>will be maintained by IT professionals. Is anyone establishing an "audio
>cemetery" where digital archives will receive "perpetual care"?

The only thing I don't like about your cemetery analogy is that it implies
death. Once the asset is in, what I prefer to call "permanent digital
archive" under "perpetual care" of an IT department it will be ready for
easy access, rights willing.

What we need is a societal will to preserve this and fund it. It is NOT a
technological problem any more. It is a societal/political/organizational
problem (choose the word that best fits your image).

I like audio CD-Rs DESPITE Jerry's warnings as they are likely to last
longer without intervention than your flawed 25-year-old tapes, players
will be plentiful for the foreseeable future, and they can be "ripped" to
data files at faster than real time.

I don't think audio CD-Rs are the be-all and end-all, but they are the most
likely to be easily playable in 50 or 100 years.

The fact that our early media is so robust is a tribute to the engineers
who developed it and also an artifact of the early tools and requirements.
Obviously, people were focusing on other parameters when your
tapes-in-need-of-baking were developed and manufactured.

If the anecdotal story I've heard is true, 3M used their tried-and-true red
barn paint as the basis for the early magnetic tapes.

Cheers,

Richard