I am belatedly replying to Kevin Randall's message of May 23 and John
Wright's message of June 4.

I want to step back and give an overview below of the principles behind
the policies in LCRIs for access to main series to put the addition to
LCRI 12.6B1 into the appropriate context.

                                        Judy

= = = = = = = = =

In LCRI 21.30L, there has always been a distinction between numbered
and unnumbered main series.  Because a numbered main series could be
processed at a library only at that "top level" (checking in the issues
of the various subseries by the main series numbering), two added
entries are given whenever what is being cataloged is an analytic of a
subseries of such a numbered main series:

    one access point for the main series;
    one access point for the subseries (entered subordinately to the
main series heading).

Separate access for the numbered main series is important so that
identification and retrieval can happen at the "top level" for those
libraries who are interested only in that level.

If the analytic is a single-part monograph or an integrating resource,
the numbering for that one specific part in the main series is given in
the access point for the main series.  If the analytic is a multipart
item, the numbering in the added entry will be numbering for the parts
in the main series.  If the analytic is a serial, the only times there
is an indication of the serial issues' numbers in the main series are
generally when the serial died after only a few issues or each issue of
the serial analytic has the same number in the main series; most of the
time in a bibl. record for a serial analytic, the 8XX for the numbered
main series lacks subfield $v.  If the subseries is also numbered, that
numbering is given in the 8XX access point for the subseries: a
single-number $v in an analytic record for a single-part monograph or an
integrating resource, a multiple-number $v in an analytic  record for a
multipart item, and usually no $v in a serial analytic.

Because an unnumbered main series cannot be processed at a library only
at that "top level" because the numbering to make check-in possible is
lacking, the LCRI does not consider that an unnumbered main series can
have a separate bibliographic existence at that level.  A heading is not
established separately for an unnumbered main series; the title proper
of the main series exists only in connection with the title of the
subseries in a single heading.  Consequently, there is only one access
point in an analytic of a subseries of an unnumbered main series:

        a single access point for the combined main series/subseries
heading.

If the subseries is numbered, that numbering is given in the single
access point (either 440 or 8XX): a single-number $v in an analytic
record for a single-part monograph or an integrating resource, a
multiple-number $v in an analytic  record for a multipart item, and
usually no $v in a serial analytic.

Just as a library can choose to handle the numbered main series only at
that "top level," a library can choose not to analyze below the
subseries level.  Such a decision then requires a collected set serial
record for each subseries because there won't be individual records for
analytics of the subseries where "class sep" call numbers can reside.
The 245 field in each collected set record is the title of the main
series plus the title of the subseries (rule 12.1B4); numbering is never
given in the 245 field.  Each subseries collected set record is an
analytic of the numbered main series.  The 245 field is the access point
for the subseries.  To provide access for others to the numbered main
series, the main series should be repeated in the 4XX field and, if
necessary, traced explicitly in the 8XX.  It would be possible for the
subseries to exist for only a few issues or for all issues in the
subseries to be the same number of the main series; in such a case, $v
would be included in the 4XX/8XX.

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/04/03 10:34AM >>>
I agree with Kevin's analysis of the limitations of this draft LCRI.

John B. Wright
6742 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo, Utah 84602