If they are 2-track, I'd guess they are recorded via a Sony PCM-F1 or F10,
the Sony digital processors that, combined with a VCR (although usually
Beta), predate DAT. Some professional studios still have these lying about.

If they are multitrack *and* post-1991, they could be Alesis ADAT, which was
introduced in 1991.

marcos sueiro bal
audio engineer
2807 newtown, astoria NY 11102