On 05/07/03, Steven Smolian wrote:

> Though there may be doubts about the technical proficiency of the
> performers and technicians, this group nonetheless serves as an audio
> time machine to cultural and social activities and attitudes which,
> though they seem unimportant when made, take on considerable interest
> with the passage of time.

Also, pronunciation and the use of language change over the decades, and
any recordings of ordinary people talking and singing are of historical
interest.

If we had similar recordings from the 1590s, it would tell us how
Shakespeare's plays sounded. Even more interesting would be home
recordings of the ancient Romans - nobody seems to know quite how Latin
was pronounced.

Regards
--
Don Cox